Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Maggie is gone...

Haven't posted here in many moons but, as this is an animal blog - and I'm all about animals - had to write a little eulogy for our Maggie, who died yesterday.

She'd just passed her 16th birthday and, though struggling mightily with arthritis, she was still perky and interested in life. Until yesterday morning. We think she had a stroke; in any case, we also knew she wasn't going to rebound from such a crisis. So we took her in to the vet - in the pouring rain, mind you - and she passed away as peacefully as possible (albeit after throwing up on the vet).

Anyway, our Maggie was never an 'easy' dog...a border collie mix, she was a handful her entire life. And, oh did we have many a battle of wills. But I loved her dearly. From the day I rescued her from the SPCA, stricken with parvo, to the last breath she took.

I know I'll feel better. After all, been through this before. Yet the grief is still very raw and her absence is huge. For the first time in 25 years, our home is without a dog. Don't know how long I'll be able to stand that.

For now, I hope and pray that Maggie is running and jumping in the air after a tennis ball as she did for so many years. And I hope she knows we did the very best we could for her...and that includes letting her go.

Rest in peace, brat...and kiss Emma, Beau, and Tarkio for us. I'll see you all again one of these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this, Becky.

Carrie Murgittroyd