Sunday, July 6, 2008

Dear Dog Doctor...

...where are you when I need you most?

Has anyone noticed that it always seems our pets get sick or injured on a weekend or holiday? I don't know about where you live, but here in my area, no vets "operate" at such hours. Well, I take that back. There are two emergency clinics that not only extract an arm and a leg to walk in the door (one charges $88 to be paid immediately), but also an extra limb or two to run tests out the ying-yang (also be paid beforehand).

Believe me, when it comes to my Maggie's well-being, cost is not a factor. But I highly resent the scalping not to mention the fact that I'm not very confident in the ability either.

Case in point: July 4th brought not only fireworks of the explosive kind but those that emanated out of Maggie's butt, aka diarrhea. Long story short, I spent the entire night up and down letting Maggie up and down out of bed to go squirt in the back yard. We were not happy campers.

The next morning, I called one of the emergency clinics inquiring about the dosage of imodium as I had some caplets on hand, albeit without the instructions (I've given this OTC drug to my dogs before). Their advice: "We don't prescribe imodium so I don't know and I can't find out." Thank you very much for nothing, dear doctor...

Call to second emergency clinic: I will say this girl was very nice but had no clue about the proper dosage. I.e., she tried to convert kilograms and milligrams into pounds and pills and ended up telling me I could give 70-lb. Maggie half a caplet once a day.

I knew that sounded fishy but I was too distraught to argue and try to "convert" myself so I went to the trusty Internet (where I should've gone in the first place).....found what I was looking for so I think we'll be just fine until our regular vet opens her doors bright and early tomorrow morning. But.....what if?

Bottom line: I find this a horrendous practice by those who take an oath "to first do no harm," be they human or animal doctors. Not only to be doling out false advice - or none at all - but to be gouging terrified pet owners who will do the utmost to help their animals. Yet - I've heard from others so unfortunate to partake of these services - if you don't have the money, they refuse your pet treatment....

So I ask again: James Herriott, where are you? Because you're certainly not in my town and we need you badly...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you happen to notice that you actually could get service on a weekend if you were willing to pay for it...without waiting for eleven hours in a waiting room? Did you happen to notice that people were willing to help you within the constraints you placed upon them? As a small business owner, I don't think you have a clue of what it costs to run a business. I'm sure everybody in those hospitals that you have a problem with love animals, but 'love' doesn't pay their mortgage and put food on the table. Next time you have a problem, ask them how much their building cost, how much their utitlity bill is, how much their payroll is and maybe then you'll appreciate that the arm you're about to give doesn't even cover the paper towel bill for the month. Think and research before speak!